Sunday, March 4, 2012

Novel Studies

I don't care much for our reading series. Thank goodness Oklahoma is changing to the Common Core Standards and we should be adopting new Reading and Math books for next year. In the mean time, I decided to try out a DIFFERENT novel study this year.  I've used "Charlotte's Web" once before and it was a tough one for some of my kiddos.  So this year, with the help of our librarian & Scholastic for having $1 books, I began reading the "Fudge" books by Judy Blume.  Wonderful!!! I can't say enough about this series of books.  The characters, events, and the language are things my students can really interact with.  They are so excited about ending one book and beginning another.  They have even "cheated" and finished the book and started on another before some of their classmates.

I am excited for them, but even more, I'm excited that state testing will be over with in a little over a month and we can all take a much needed breath of air! Please don't misunderstand, we have fun and interact everyday.  I try not to be a nose to grindstone teacher.  I don't give homework.  What? Yes you heard correctly.  They are responsible for taking their reader home on Tuesdays and re-read their chapters or story along with studying spelling words and vocabulary. They spend enough of the day learning without having homework.  I know I don't like homework either! :)

I hope everyone has a blessed week.  I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment